The Nanyang Technological University (NTU) International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme, IBDP for short is an undergraduate admission course offered to students in their last two years of high school. The course is designed with an internationally-oriented curriculum that aims to develop the skills and knowledge which will benefit them as they transition from high school to university.
The main campus of NTU is located in the southwestern part of Singapore, along 50 Nanyang Avenue. The university has been ranked 12th in the world for engineering and technology by QS World University Rankings 2019. In the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2018, NTU was ranked No. 1 in Asia for Materials Science (chemistry). In addition, NTU achieved its highest rank of No. 40 globally for Materials Science (chemistry). It also has been ranked No. 6 globally for Engineering – Electrical and Electronic by QS World University Rankings 2019.
NTU has a total student population of more than 36,000 including about 5,600 international students from over 100 countries. The group of students coming from outside Singapore are known as ‘non-Singaporeans’ or ‘international students’. Non-Singaporeans can apply to become Singapore citizens after completing their studies here. In this article we’ll also discuss national university of singapore ib requirements, ntu acceptance rate for international students.
Nanyang Technological University Ib Requirements
Nanyang Technological University (NTU) is a university in Singapore. The main campus is located in Jurong East, Singapore, with a satellite campus in Novena. Established in 1991, NTU has a reputation for its interdisciplinary approach to research and education. It has been consistently ranked among the world’s top universities in various international rankings.
New Closing Application Deadlines for International & Other qualifications for Academic year 2023. Below is a summary table for the affected qualifications.
You must have completed at least 12 years of general education or will be taking High School national examinations in the year of application in order to be considered for admission.
Submission of IELTS++ (a minimum Overall 6, writing 6) or TOEFL++(a minimum of 90) or SAT (a minimum of 1250 for SAT taken for March 2016 onwards) or Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) (a minimum of 55) or ACT with Writing (a minimum of composite score of 30 in ACT with Writing in one sitting) or AST English score or C1 Advanced (formerly known as Cambridge English Advanced (CAE)) are only compulsory for applicants
- with PRC Gao Kao qualification (i.e. applicants who will be taking Gao Kao in June 2023 and those who have already taken Gao Kao) OR
- with Taiwan General Scholastic Ability Test (GSAT) qualification OR
- with South Korean College Scholastic Ability Test (CSAT)/High School Diploma (Ilbankye Kodung Hakkyo) qualification OR
- with Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (HKDSE) OR
- with Vietnam High School Graduation Certificate OR
- with Thailand Mathayom 6 OR
- who do not take up English language in Junior and Senior High School or taken English language only as a 2nd language.
For IELTS, TOEFL and PTE Academic, only scores obtained in the 2 years leading up to the application deadline will be considered. The validity period for SAT and ACT is 5 years.
++IELTS Indicator and TOEFL iBT ® Special Home Edition are also acceptable.
Minimum Subject Requirements
In addition to fulfilling the minimum entry requirements, you must also satisfy the minimum subject requirements for the programmes you apply. Check the minimum subject requirements of the programme you wish to apply.
Mother Tongue Language (MTL) Requirement for Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents
All Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents applying for admission must fulfil any one of the following minimum requirements under MOE mother tongue policy:
- a grade D7 for Higher MTL at Singapore-Cambridge GCE O-Level; or
- a pass in MTL ‘B’ or a grade S for H1 MTL or H2 MTL Language and Literature or General Studies in Chinese at Singapore-Cambridge GCE A-Level; or
- a pass in MTL A: Literature or MTL A: Language and Literature or Language B MTL at Standard or Higher Level at IB Diploma; or
- an MOE-approved MTL-in-lieu*; or
- an MOE-approved MTL-exemption*.
Students who have not satisfied the requirement above may still apply for admission with no prejudice to their application. Admission will be on a provisional basis and students are required to attain the MTL within the period of their University study.
* For students who have been away from Singapore’s school system for some years, the University will submit the application for MTL-in-lieu or MTL-exemption on your behalf if you are offered admission. MOE does not accept direct applications. If you have previously been approved a MTL-in-lieu or are exempted from MTL, please upload the MOE approval letter to the ‘Checklist’ after you have submitted your application.
Special Medical Conditions to Note
Please read the special medical conditions before selecting the programme you wish to apply.
Estimated Living Expenses
It is important to have a good idea of the financial costs involved over the length of your undergraduate education in NTU. Besides the Tuition fee and Miscellaneous fee for full-time programmes, the estimated monthly cost of living is as below.
|Type Of Costs||Estimated Amount (S)|
|Accommodation (On-campus)||S$265 – S$605*|
|Meals||S$300 – S$400|
|Transport, Books & Personal Expenses||S$320 – S$540|
|Total||S$885 – S$1545|
* The estimated cost of accommodation is based on the rate of a single room or twin-sharing room.
national university of singapore ib requirements
Minimum Requirement to Apply
A very good combination of 5s, 6s, and 7s out of the 3 Higher Level and 3 Standard Level subjects, and good EE and TOK grades.
For other admission requirements, please visit:
Eligible to apply for all programmes if fulfil the minimum subject requirements of the programmes.
For programmes that required Mathematics as a prerequisite for admissions, both Math: Analysis and Approaches (MAA) or Math: Applications and Interpretations (MAI) are acceptable. There is no preference of MAA or MAI over the other.
Applicants sitting for coming May exam will not be eligible to apply for the LKCMedicine programme,Renaissance Engineering programme, Arts (Education), Science (Education) programmes in this admission exercise.
Note that Biomedical Sciences and Chinese Medicine programme is not applicable to Citizens of Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macao SAR and Taiwan.
- Admission is highly competitive, especially for non-citizens, due to limited places available for a public university such as NTU. The admission point varies from year to year and between different programmes. Meeting the minimum requirements to apply does not guarantee admission to any of the programmes in NTU.
- The primary factor in admission decision is good overall academic performance. Decision will be made based on actual IB results only. No provisional offer will be made based on preliminary results.
- Students taking May 2022 IB Diploma exams must key and upload IB result slip (download from official website is acceptable) at ‘Provide Actual Results’ via Check Status link within 3 days following the official release date for the admission decision. Failing which, your application will be deemed incomplete and will not be processed.
- Applicants must authorise IBO to release their results directly to NTU for verification purpose. Applicants in their final year of study should contact their schools’ IB coordinator for assistance. Please refer to https://www.ibo.org/programmes/diploma-programme/assessment-and-exams/requesting-transcripts for details.
ntu acceptance rate for international students
NTU’s acceptance rate is estimated to be 35%. You might get in if you are a good student with a good GPA, but you need more than that to be certain. I would take standardized tests and do very well in them and also do other activities related to academics such as research.