A landscape architect salary can vary from state to state, but the location is not the only factor that plays a role. With a master’s degree, you will have greater earning potential and can even see an increase in pay of about 10 to 15 percent. Here is a guide to understanding how your landscape architect salary with a masters degree canadacan be affected by geographic location, number of years working in the field and more.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, landscape architects in Canada enjoy an average salary of $66,600. This is a little bit higher than the average salary for all landscape architects in the U.S., which is $64,800.
Landscape architects who have received a master’s degree will likely earn more than those who haven’t. In Canada, the average salary for landscape architects with a master’s degree is $74,300; for those with bachelor’s degrees it’s $62,500; and for those with associate degrees it’s $55,500.
The range of salaries within these categories can vary greatly depending on where you work and what kind of firm you work for.
Landscape architect salary with masters degree canada
With the growing demand for landscape architects, this profession has become one of the most sought after career choices. It is a profession that combines art and science to design, manage and conserve our natural environment.
Landscape architects work in different sectors like urban planning, recreation and parks, transportation, construction etc. They are responsible for managing all aspects of land development including designing open spaces, parks, buildings and other structures.
How Long Does It Take to Become a Landscape Architect
Here’s the breakdown:
- Bachelor of Landscape Architecture degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0, 5 years.
- Undergraduate degree in an unrelated field followed by Masters of Landscape Architecture (MLA) program, 7 years.
- Bachelor’s or other undergraduate degree and MLA graduate program, 8 years total.
- Graduate-level certificate programs in horticulture or urban planning from community colleges may be accepted as an alternative to a Bachelors of Science degree for admission into MLA programs at some universities; this option will take 10 years minimum to complete the degree requirements.* *Masters Degree – 2 year program – (MSLAP) Master’s In Sustainable Landscaping And Planning
Are you a people-person?
If you’re a people-person, you’ll likely be best suited to this career. Landscape architects need to have good communication skills with clients, other architects, and building professionals. Landscape architects work in teams and must be able to work with clients to understand their needs and vision for their project.
What’s the job market like?
The landscape architect job market in canada is expanding. In fact, the number of openings for landscape architects is expected to increase by 22% over the next decade.
Landscape architects are paid well in canada; the average salary for a landscape architect with 10 years’ experience is $80,000 per year. Entry-level positions typically pay around $60,000 a year.
Can I make a good living as a landscape architect?
In Canada, the average salary for landscape architects is $65,000. Entry-level professionals typically earn around $35,000 while those with five to ten years of experience can expect to make between $45,000 and $60,000 per year. A career as a landscape architect will pay well if you are in a location with a high demand for your services—for example, Calgary has been rated one of the best places to live in Canada because its economy is booming and it offers more than just oil jobs. The highest paying location for landscape architects is Vancouver; however this may change due to recent housing prices there being so high that people cannot afford homes anymore so they have started moving outwards towards suburbs where land values are lower which means less demand for landscaping services!
So what does this mean for you? Well if you want good money then go learn about gardening outside (not indoors) because that’s where most landscapers work nowadays anyway.”
There are several things to consider before committing to a landscape architecture degree.
- If you want to be a landscape architect, then the first thing you should do is ask yourself if you’re willing to spend some time in school. While there are ways for individuals with little or no experience in the industry to begin their careers and earn a salary, many who pursue this career path have at least an undergraduate degree (and often a graduate degree) under their belt.
- If you do decide that this career path is for you, then make sure that your personality fits well with being both an artist and designer who works with clients every day on projects ranging from residential homes to office buildings.
We at landscape-architecture.ca firmly believe in finding ways to reward talented architects and designers as they progress through their careers. While it’s true that most of the time you’ll have a long career ahead of you once you get your first diploma, there is one surefire way to speed up the process even faster: working for yourself. While most people start their own businesses out of necessity or desperation, if you’ve got a great idea for an innovative design firm or architecture studio then this might be the best place for you! You can learn more about what it takes to succeed in this field on our website as well; we’ve got blogs and articles dedicated specifically towards helping new entrepreneurs get started with running their own company.