university of strasbourg masters admissions

Step by step: regular admission


You want to study at the Université de Strasbourg as a regular student? The steps you need to follow are right below.

Please mind the following admission guidelines for

1. Choosing a study programme

The Université de Strasbourg offers an exceptional diversity of programmes that cover all areas of education (Arts, Literature,  Languages; Law, Economics, Management, Political and Social sciences; Social sciences and Humanities; Science and Technology; Health).

Check our academic programmes and courses.

2. Checking the admission requirements

Admission requirements depend on the year of study you wish to apply to (1st year of Bachelors (Licence) degree or higher level), your nationality and current residence. The following tables provide you with all the information you need in order to apply.

Some departments have their own admission procedure: check their webpages.

Be careful with the deadlines (some depend on the country you come from) and start making enquiries about procedures as early as possible: a year is often needed before departing.

3. Applying

Once you know which admission procedure corres- ponds to your situation you can start applying. You will find all the information in the following tables. ADMISSION  INTO 1st YEAR  OF LICENCE For admission into the first year of Licence  (L1), you must present a diploma of high school graduation. You can apply even if you are currently preparing this diploma.

For whom?What should I do?How should I do it?When?
FrenchBaccalauréatEnter your academic preferences online into the post-bac admission portal (admission post-bac – APB)The complete procedure is done online atadmission-postbac.frMid-January to mid-March
Candidates livinin France (non- Europeans)Fill out a request for prior admission (demande d’admission prélable – DAP) form by completing the dossier vert” (green file)Download and fill out the “dossier vert” (green file) of the DAP at: enseignementsup-recherche.gouv.frApplications must be submitted to the university of 1st choice.Mid-November to mid-January
Nationals from Campus Franccountries* (noliving in France)Fill out a request for prior admission (demande d’admission prélable – DAP) form by completing the dossier blanc” (white file)Fill out the “dossier blanc” (white file) online via the Espace Campus France of your country: ”name of the country”. to mid-January
Candidates from other countries (not living in France)Fill out a request for prior admission (demande d’admission prélable – DAP) form by completing the dossier blanc” (white file)Download and fill out the “dossier blanc” (white file) of the DAP at: enseignementsup-recherche.gouv.frApplications must be submitted to the French embassy of your country of residence.Mid-November to mid-January


For whom?What should I do?How should I do it?When?
Nationals from Campus Franccountries* (noliving in France)Fill out a hors DAP” procedure form onlineVia the Espace Campus France of your country: ”name of the country” (e.g.: on your country – check on your Espace Campus France
Other candidatesValidate your courses, experience or skills through a VAPP application (valida tion des études, expériences professionnelles ou acquis personnels – VAPP)Log on to the pre-application portal: aria.u-strasbg.frThe following are taken into consideration:
– Higher education and university diplomas
– personal and professional experience (internships, language programmes, etc.)
From March on (depending on study programmes and departments)

***NOTE: The Université de Strasbourg is connected to the Campus France Agency. In 2016, the countries affected by this procedure are the following: Algeria, Argentina, Benin, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo (Brazzaville), Côte d’Ivoire, Egypt, Gabon, Guinea, India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Peru, Russia, Senegal, South Korea, Taiwan, Tunisia, Turkey, USA, Vietnam.

4. If you are accepted: applying for a student visa

The conditions on entry to France for long-term studies are regulated and differ from those of a leisure trip. If you have completed the admission procedures and received a positive response, you can proceed to apply for a student visa:

  • European candidates: you do not need a visa.
  • Campus France procedure: you can apply online, via your Espace Campus France.
  • Candidates living in France: if you already hold a residence permit (resident card, residence permit) you do not need to ask for a visa.
  • Other candidates: you have to make an applica- tion to get a student visa at the embassy or consu- late of your country of residence.

5. Administrative enrolment

Administrative enrolment (inscription administrative) gives you student status on arrival: you will be given your student card and enrolment certificate (certificat de scolarité), and will be able to register with Social Security.

6. Educational enrolment

Your administrative enrolment must be completed by an educational enrolment (inscription pédagogique), which validates your participation in lectures (cours magistraux or CM), tutorials (travaux dirigés or TD), practical work (travaux pratiques or TP) and exams, and your free choices of courses or languages. Educational enrolment is organised by your department administration, often at precise dates and times.

Make enquiries on the weeks before classes begin, at your department administration office or its website.

7. Applying for a student residence permit

You can apply for a student residence permit only once your administrative enrolment is validated. You are advised to start the process as soon as you arrive in Strasbourg.

  • European candidates: you do not need to hold a residence permit.
  • Nationals of other countries: you will have to apply for a student residence permit (Visa long séjour valant Titre de séjour – VLS-TS) in the three months that follow your arrival in France (EUR 58 in 2016). In September you will be able to applyon the campus, at the Agora (see p. 23). Otherwise you will have to go to administrative centre of Strasbourg (préfecture). To obtain this permit,you must submit: your passport, an enrolment certificate, proof of financial resources for one year and proof of residential address (electricity or telephone bill, accommodation certificate, etc.).
  • Note: in some cases, students with a one-year visa do not need a residence permit and must go to the French immigration and integration office (Office français de l’immigration et de l’intégration- OFII).

More information on the region’s website.

Leave a Reply