The University of Pau and the Adour Region (L’Université de Pau et des Pays de l’Adour, UPPA) is a French multi-site, public university. Founded in 1972, it is based in Pau (département of Pyrénées-Atlantiques) but also in Anglet, Bayonne, Tarbes and Mont-de-Marsan in the Adour river basin. Coming administratively under the Academy of Bordeaux, it is the third largest university in southwestern France (after Bordeaux and Toulouse), with some 12,000 students.
The University’s logo is a stylised representation of the Pyrénées or the Pic du Midi d’Ossau, the blue triangle being the Atlantic ocean. The colors used (yellow, green blue) are those of the university’s graphic charter.
The university was founded in 1970, in a splendid formerly urban park. However, the origins of the Law faculty (‘UFR de Droit, Economie et Gestion’) go further back; it was created in 1947 by Robert Poplawski (dean from 1947 to 1953) and Dean Vizioz, and was lodged in Villa Lawrence in Pau town centre.Villa Lawrence
The university was led by the following presidents:
- 2012- : Mohamed Amara
- 2008-2012 : Jean-Louis Gout
- 2004-2008 : Jean-Michel Uhaldeborde
- 1998-2004 : Jean-Louis Gout
- 1993-1998 : Claude Laugénie (1938–2008), created the IRSAM and directed the Centre d’Initiation à l’Enseignement Supérieur Aquitaine-Outremer
- 1988-1993 : Jean-Louis Gout
- 1982-1988: Franck Métras
- 1976-1982 : Daniel Levier
- 1973-1976 : Jean Deschamps
- 1970-1973 : Maurice Descottes
With nearly 9,000 students, the Pau campus is the largest. The President’s office is located there in the Présidence (Presidency) semicircular building. The campus is located to the north of Pau, about twenty minutes ride from the town centre, but within the urban limits. The campus is comprised in the space between Avenue de l’Université–Cours Léon Bérard–Boulevard Tourasse to the South, Avenue du Doyen Poplawski to the West, rue Audrey Benghozi and Boulevard Lucien Favre to the North and Allées Condorcet to the East.
This campus has three departments (unités de formation et de recherche (UFR)) of Arts, Law and Sciences, as well as a technological institute (Institut Universitaire Technologique), the Ecole Nationale Supérieure en Génie de Technologies Industrielles (ENSGTI) and a School for Business Administration (Institut d’Administration des Entreprises)  with a satellite in Bayonne. There are two specialised university libraries, one for the Sciences Department, the other common to the Law and Arts Departments.View of the rear of Department of Arts
Department of Law, Economics and Management – Institute of Business Administration
The department (UFR de Droit, Économie et Gestion – Institut d’Administration des Entreprises or FDEG-IAE) gathers the law, economics and management services as well as the Institute of Business Administration. It provides education to about 3,000 students dispatched in several degrees.
It is located in the north-western part of the UPPA campus, south-west of the École supérieure de commerce (ESC), west of the Department of Arts, north-west of the Institut de Recherche sur les Sociétés et l’Aménagement (IRSAM) and east of the André Lavie stadium, across Dean Poplawski avenue. South lays a big lawn much appreciated by students during summer times. There is an east-west road entrance (Entrée Ouest and Rue Saint-John Perse) to the campus branching from the north-south oriented Dean Poplawski Avenue, just north of the department. There are bus stops for the STAP bus service line 4 and Studibus line along Dean Poplawski Avenue, to town center and the SNCF train station. The department is accessible to the disabled.
The department is lodged in a three storeys elaborate building with the amphitheatre-like classrooms being grouped at the eastern corner of the complex. The inner infrastructure is made of unpainted crude supporting concrete walls with lighter separation plaster painted walls. The exterior roofing is made of small clay tiles. Brick is also used for the sculptural elements like the well-like artificial space in the center of the inner patio, as well as pebbles for floor decoration. Large glass bays are also used as separation elements.
The department features a number of landmarks. The pillar-shape archives room near the student secretary is called ‘the lighthouse’, the sculpture-like structure in the patio is called ‘the well’, and the underground part of the building is referred to as ‘the cellar’. The coffee-machines place and the eaves of the building are popular meeting points. The concrete sign Faculté de Droit, d’Economie et Gestion serves as a bench in the shade of the trees. There is a nearby cafeteria called “L’Arlequin”.
The current dean is Jean-Jacques Lemouland, and the current IAE director is Jean-Jacques Rigal.
- North-western entrance
- Southern entrance gate near “L’Arlequin” cafeteria
- North-eastern entrance near bicycle stand
- FDEG-IAE view from the lawn
The department grants Licence and Master degrees.
Research centers are located at ground level (Law) and at the second floor (Economics, Management). The university law faculty was part of L’Université Numérique Juridique Francophone French project. Research centers in law include CECL, LIEN, CRAJ, CREPAO, IE2JA  The research center in economics is Centre d’Analyse Théorique et de Traitement or CATT, and the research center in management is Centre de Recherche en Gestion or CREG.IUT entrance
The Centre Local des Oeuvres Universitaires et Scolaire (CLOUS) is taking charge of all things regarding students life ( see : Bordeaux CROUS internet site). There are a number of dormitories (résidences universitaires) situated on the campus (résidence Gaston Phoebus) or near the campus or in town. The accommodations range from single rooms to small apartments. The main restaurant is called Cap Sud. It is situated to the South-West of the campus, which is where the maison de l’étudiant is located. There are students Unions present on the campus.
- Cap Sud university restaurant
- Maison de l’étudiant near Cap Sud restaurant
- Rear of Gaston Phoebus dormitory building
- Partial view on BU Lettres et droit and rear of Présidence building from the lawn
- South-eastern lawn
Staff is taken care of by Direction des ressouces humaines (DRH) services situated on the second floor in the Présidence building. There is a chain at Cap Sud dedicated to University personnel (L’oasis). Staff belonging to IATOSS or ITRF personnel categories can also go eating to the nearby Cité administrative’s restaurant inter-administratif (RIA). There are a number of Unions present on the campus.André Lavie stadium near UPPA campusUPPA Sport Hall
Sport at UPPA is organised by SUAPS service. There are a number of sporting facilities including André Lavie Stadium close to Pau’s Léo Lagrange COSEC, UPPA sport hall (Halle des sports) close to Plein Ciel swimming pool and tennis courses, a football (soccer) field, an outdoor climbing wall on BU Droit-Lettres.
Located around Pau’s university campus are a number of facilities:
- Pau Université E.Leclerc mall, with its L’île aux sandwichs, its Centre culturel library and computer store, lying opposite to the campus across Allées Condorcet road
- Carrefour Market mall, facing Présidence southern entrance
- Quick fast-food restaurant, a MégaCGR cinema,
- Pau’s Université-La Poste post-office and a mail box along Dean Poplawski avenue
Other venues are the Lycée Saint-John Perse, the Helioparc site, a police station, an administrative centre, a Maison de l’agriculture, a church, several banks and a variety of stores.
The Campus of Bayonne – Anglet gathers 2.500 students in the departments of Sciences and Multidisciplinary, and an IUT. The two sites are St Crouts and Montaury.
The campus has a Department of Arts and a Department of Sciences, with a total of 700 students, and a sport section (STAPS).
The Department of Law has 300 students and an IUT.