Turkey is a transcontinental country that serves as a natural bridge between Europe and Asia. Istanbul is one of the world’s most historic and important cities, while Ankara is the capital of the country. Some of the oldest traces of human existence in Eurasia can be found on the territory of Turkey. It is an early member of the UN, NATO, and a close associate to the European Union.
Medical Residency In Turkey For International Students
Turkey is one of the top tourist destinations in the world, and an increasing number of foreigners are also moving there long-term. In this article, we will go over the process to become a medical doctor in Turkey.
1. Turkish Language Requirements
According to many people who have studied it, Turkish is one of the most beautiful and pleasant to learn languages out there, which is great news for anyone who wishes to move to the country. Like many languages, though, it has its quirks and unique characteristics that will take some time to master, but considering that it uses the Latin alphabet, the transition for English people shouldn’t be too difficult, even though it is considered tougher than French or even German. Dedicated learners can expect to master the language in less than one year.
Until late 2011, foreign doctors were not allowed to work in Turkey. From 2012 onwards, foreign doctors are allowed to work but are also required to take a language proficiency test, that they will need to pass with a minimum score of “B” if they wish to become a doctor in Turkey.
2. Study in Turkish medical schools
Medicine programs are highly sought after in Turkish universities, for both Turkish and foreign students, so the competition to get into them is fairly stiff, but the admission rates are still very high at around 90%, depending on the field of study and university. Some universities require pre-admission exams that test the student’s logic and common sense, while there are also some pre-admission exams in which the student will have to prove his proficiency in the language he will study in, whether it’s English or Turkish. In addition, all international students, including medical students, have to take the YÖS Exam.
The general medicine programs at Turkish universities typically last for 6 years. The first 2 years are spent learning theory and basic science, the third year is spent on a theoretical and practical introduction to various topics and diseases, while the 4th and 5th year are reserved for clinical internships. The final year of study is spent as a practicing physician at the university hospital, where the study will take on the duties of a regular doctor.
3. Pass the required medical exams
Before you are allowed to work in Turkey as a GP or residency, you will need to go through a series of tests. You will need to pass these tests to become a medical doctor in Turkey. After you submit the necessary documents to the Ministry of Higher Education, you have 8 to 12 months until the process is complete to learn the Turkish language and prepare for the equivalency exam which is called STS, that must be taken in Turkish, and will test your knowledge in medicine. Passing this exam isn’t too hard as you only need to score 35 of 100 points, but the language barrier can prove to be a challenge for some students.
4. Complete the Residency
After you pass the exam, you will have to spend 6 to 9 months of training at a governmental educational hospital in Turkey. Once that is finished, you are allowed to work as a medical doctor in Turkey. If you wish to specialize further, for example as a surgeon, there is an additional exam relating to your specialty that you will need to pass. If you fail to pass it, you will have to work 3 months under supervision at a teaching hospital, and if you show yourself in good light, you can start practicing as a specialist.
5. Getting Medical License to Become a Doctor in Turkey
The process that allows you to practice medicine in Turkey doesn’t come in the form of a single license, but a series of documents, permits, and other things you will need to provide and obtain. It is also very worth noting that working at state hospitals in Turkey is forbidden for foreign nationals, and while working at public hospitals is very much possible, the process is quite complicated. You will need to obtain a residence permit, work visa, equivalency (your foreign degree needs to be approved by YÖK), at least a “B” level knowledge of Turkish, and a few other documents and requirements. With these permissions, you are allowed to start working at a private hospital in Turkey. Please note that most of the permissions will only last you for 2 years, after which you will have to renew them.
6. Turkish Work Visa for Doctors
To start working as a medicl doctor in Turkey, you will first need to acquire a work permit/visa. This visa is given by the Ministry of Family, Labor, and Social Services. You can apply for this visa at the Republic of Turkey consulate in your home country. In order to apply, you will already need to have a job contract from a private hospital in Turkey. The hospital will also need to file an online application to the before-mentioned ministry, providing them with additional information and documents. Once the work visa is issued, candidates are required to enter Turkish territory within 180 days.
The initial work permit is for a period of one year. Upon the expiry of the permit, workers will need to apply for an extension, which once approved, will be valid for 2 more years, given that the candidate is still with the same hospital and doing the same type of work. Extensions should be applied for online at least 2 months before the initial permit expires.
7. Getting a Job as a Doctor in Turkey
As mentioned earlier, the only hospitals you can work in as a foreigner in Turkey are private hospitals. Job opportunities at these hospitals can be limited, but far from impossible to find. You can find plenty of job postings online, including famous international platforms like Indeed or Linkedin, as well as a few Turkish sites for which you will need to know the language. With a little effort, and of course knowledge and skills, finding a job as a doctor in Turkey in the private sector shouldn’t be too difficult.
8. Procedure for foreign doctors to become a doctor in Turkey
To sum it all up, here we will quickly go over the steps you need to take as a foreign-trained doctor to start working in Turkey. First, and foremost, you need a diploma from a foreign university. After that, you need to take and pass the equivalence exam or STS exam. You then need to prove proficiency in the Turkish language. After that, you need to apply for a residence and work permit at your local Turkish consulate. This process can only be completed if you have already found a hospital to work for in Turkey. Once all of this is finished, you can start working as a medical doctor in Turkey.
medical internship in turkey for international students
In 2011, Turkey passed a law allowing foreign doctors to work in its territory due to the shortage of doctors, especially in the private sector. In European countries there are 340 doctors per 100,000 inhabitants. In Turkey there are 156 doctors per 100,000 inhabitants. Turkey is seeking to increase the number of doctors by opening the door for all doctors from all countries of the world to work in its territory after fulfilling all the required conditions.
In this article we will learn about the steps required for each doctor to specialize in Turkey, including new laws added in 2020.
1) Learn Turkish. 2) Pass the STS exam. 3) Complete the mandatory training. 4) Pass the TUS exam. All the papers work in the Ministry of higher education and Ministry of health our office will do it .
The procedures in details :
The First Step :
Prepare the required documents for equivalence application to Turkish Minister of Higher Education
1) Bachelor’s degree documented from Ministry of Foreign Affairs in your country . 2) Transcript documented from Ministry of Foreign Affairs in your country . 3) High school Certificate documented from Ministry of Foreign Affairs in your country. 4) Photocopy of your passport. 5) power of attorney for us to the purpose of equivalence application to Ministry
The Second Step :
Send the Documents to Our office in Ankara via DHL or you can come to Turkey by yourself if you want.
The Third Step :
We will submit your documents to the Turkish Ministry of Higher Education .
Review process will take from 8 to 12 Months .
The Fourth step :
In this period you have to learn the Turkish language and be prepared for equivalent’s exam
Note: you can learn Turkish online through the following link .
The Fifth Step :
You have to enter the equivalent’s exam which called STS ( seviye tespit sınavı ) which held Twice a Year on April and September , in Ankara .
The Exam consist of 120 Question as the following :
medicine 40 q pediatric 30 q general surgery 30 q obs & gayne 20 q.
The Passing score is 35 out of 100 ( the score was 40 but after covid-19 they lower the required score to 35)
– Note : in the following link are the material of STS Exam
The Sixth Step :
Mandatory Training in Govermental educational hospital for 6 to 9 months in ( Medicine – Surgery – Pediatrics- Obs&gyne – Family Medicine – Emergency Medicine ) .
The Seventh Step :
Entering and paasing The Turkish Medical Specialty Exam ( TUS) .. and you can choose your field according to your degree in the exam .
What is TUS ?
TUS word is an abbreviation for (Tıpta Uzmanlık Sınavı) which means medical specialty exam, which is held twice a year in April and in September.
Exam consists of two sessions in the same day .
The first session … contains 120 questions MCQs on Basic sciences , duration is 150 minutes .
1) anatomy 14 q 2) physiology – histology – embriyology 18 q 3) biyochimestry 22 q. 4) microbiology 22 q. 5) pathology 22 q. 6) phrmachology 22 q
The second session … contains 120 questions MCQs on clinical sciences , the duration is 150 minutes .
7) medicine 40 q 8) pediatric 30 q 9) general surgery 30 q 10) obs&gayne 20 q.
– The passing score is 45 out of 100.
– Note : in the following link are the material of TUS Exam
How to choose your specialty ? What are the required score in each discipline ? How many years of training in each discipline ?
- Anesthesia … 4 years … required score 47.
- General Surgery … 5 years … required score 51.
- Cardiovascular Surgery … 5 years … the required score of 65.
- Plastic surgery … 5 years … required score 59.
- Pediatric Surgery … 5 years …. 59 degree required.
- Orthopedic Surgery … 5 years … required score 52.
- Neurosurgery … 5 years … required score 56.
- Thoracic surgery … 5 years … required score 55.
- Internal Medicine … 4 years … required score 47.
- Chest Diseases … 4 years … required score 47.
- Neurology … 4 years … required score 49.
- Cardiology … 4 years … the required score of 70.
- Urology … 4 years … required score 56.
- Psychiatry … 4 years … required score 46.
- Emergency medicine … 4 years … the required score of 45.
- Forensic medicine … 4 years … the required score of 45.
- Pediatrics … 4 years … required score 46.
- Skin … 4 years … required score 57.
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation … 4 years … required score 54.
- Obstetrics … 4 years … required score 52.
- ENT … 4 years … required score 58.
- Child psychiatry … 4 years … required score 49.
- Clinical Pathology … 4 years … required score 52.
- Ophthalmology … 4 years … required score 59.
- Family Medicine … 3 years … the required score of 45.
- Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology … 5 years … required score 49.
- Diagnostic Radiology … 4 years … required score 58.
- Medical Biochemistry … 4 years … required score 54.
- Medical Microbiology … 4 years … required score 49.
- Medical genetics .. degree required 47 … 4 years.
- Anatomy … 3 years … required score 45
- Physiology … 3 years … required 51.
- Medical pharmacology … 4 years … required score 45 .
medical residency in turkey salary
Then you will be a resident doctor who is earning about :8000 – 10000 tl per month. The residency program lengths changes to specialization area(3–7 years) . After finishing residency program ,you will become a specialist who is earning about : 10 000 – 30 000 tl per month.