Canada Student Visa Checklist

Canada Student Visa Checklist

Are you planning to study abroad in Canada? If so, you’ll want to make sure you have all of the necessary documentation before you apply for your Canada student visa.

You may be wondering what exactly needs to be included in your application and what other important considerations should be made before applying. Here are some tips:

Before You Apply:

1) Find out if you need a visa and if so, what type of visa.

2) Find out if you need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

3) Make sure that all of your documents are up-to-date and accurate.

4) Decide how long you plan on staying in Canada and choose the appropriate length of stay (i.e., one year or two years).

5) Choose which application method is best suited for your situation (i.e., paper application or online application).

6) Determine if there is any additional information required by the consulate or embassy that may affect the processing time or final outcome of your application (i.e., police record check).

Canada Student Visa Checklist


Studying in Canada has its perks: it’s close to home, there are tons of student visa options, and the tuition fees are relatively low as well. Whether you’re a graduate looking to earn your Master’s degree in Canada or an undergraduate student searching for affordable tuition fees, studying in Canada is a great option. The best part? You’ll get a high-quality education at the same time! But before you can start your academic journey abroad, you need to obtain the correct study permit.

Your passport

  • Your passport must be valid for at least six months after your planned return date.
  • It must have at least two blank pages (one pasted inside and one back) to allow you to affix visa stickers issued by the Canadian Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

A Study Permit

A study permit is a document that allows you to study in Canada. It’s issued by a visa officer at a Canadian visa office when you apply for your student visa.

Once your application for a student visa has been approved, it’s sent to the Canadian embassy or consulate where you will get your study permit from an immigration officer.

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is a document that allows you to enter Canada and stay for a certain amount of time. When you arrive at the border, you will have to show your TRV as proof that it’s valid. A TRV is not required if:

  • You are travelling with a permanent resident card or travel document issued by another country;
  • Your spouse/common-law partner or dependant children under 19 years old hold Canadian citizenship; or
  • You are entering Canada with an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Co-op Work Permit (if needed)

If you are working for a Canadian employer, you may need to apply for a co-op work permit. Here’s what you should know:

  • You must be studying full-time (at least 60% of the course load).
  • You must have a valid study permit. In some cases, your school might be able to apply on your behalf—check with them if this is the case so that they can advise you on how best to proceed!
  • The job offer needs to be from an eligible Canadian employer who will hire both international postgraduates and Canadian students at the same time and place.

Once you apply for your study permit, you will get your visa within 30 days.

Once you apply for your study permit, you will get your visa within 30 days. You can apply for a visa after getting your study permit or before getting it.

The Canadian government has made this process extremely simple and easy to understand by providing detailed instructions on its official website.


We hope we have helped you learn more about Canada visas. If you need more information or want to apply, visit our website or call us at 1 (888) 947-9445. We’re here to help!

Leave a Reply